essays, stories and journaling by slegg
contact: to.slegg@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's been a

lovely last few weeks. It's felt like this. I kind of love how this article says that the flight attendant abused the passenger by calling him a motherfucker. I wonder if that's colloquial in Australia because we don't use the word abuse lightly in the U.S. I'm so proud of this man. I just want to give him a high five and butt slap and laugh over a beer. If you don't feel like reading more, you can read the last part, because it's how I feel about that man. And, coincidentally, it's also how I feel about you. And you too.

My friend and I have been hanging out hardcore for the past two weeks. Here are our accomplishments:
  • Wrote new song, titled Fog is Magic
  • Recorded music video of stuffed animals dancing to Shakira's Waka Waka
  • Watched DJ Earworm's mashups from 2007 - 2009, and determined that in 2007 we were living in excess, in 2008 we were dejected, and in 2009 we were hopeful. "Even if the sky is falling down, it'll be okay, baby don't worry, it'll be alright, no need to worry." The big question is what will 2010 bring? We agreed that whatever it is, it's something having to do with B.O.B.
  • Craved old video games so hard that we found ourselves watching Bubble Bobble and Zelda game-play videos.
  • Saw lizards, frogs, foxes, cows, rivers, wine, ice cream, frozen yogurt, old friends who are now lesbians, domestic violence. Wait, what?
  • Argued in ways that left us proud of our opinions, and accepting of the contrary opinions of others. I'm still not sure how that is possible, but somehow we managed.
  • Received free health care served up by the folks in the Civic Center; doctors with sweet voices who were happy to welcome another artist to an already overcrowded city. Pharmacy techs gave us antibiotics and smiled and treated my friend so sweetly that I hurt for all of New York City.
But, beyond that, the conclusion was the following. It's something I've suspected for a while. It's very important so please listen up and listen hard and place it somewhere safe and believe it with every piece of yourself:

Resist the thought
that what you're doing
is merely
ordinary.
Because it's not.

1 comment:

femme poet said...

i love everything about this. especially you. especially us. and especially the way your writing is changing.